Mafika Sihlali, a (former) member of the SABC’s executive, reportedly resigned at the end of August last year, but Kaizer Kganyago, SABC spokesperson, would still not comment on it today (Monday).
He said he could confirm the advertisement, but that he was not mandated to talk about Sihlali as “legal processes” were pending.
Sihlali’s suspension came after an internal audit report, according to which he was suspected of fraud amounting to approximately R1.8-million, had been leaked to the media in July last year.
The SABC released a statement on 24 August according to which Sihlali had been suspended, pending a disciplinary enquiry and following a “comprehensive” investigation into allegations of corruption and the abuse of power.
City Press reported on 26 August that Sihlali had resigned, but that the SABC maintained he was suspended.
The police has since confirmed an investigation into the alleged fraud.
Sihlali has since kept a low profile, failing to turn up to be sentenced in the Secunda magistrates’ court in November for reckless and negligent driving and assault, Beeld reported at the time.
Sihlali could again not be reached for comment today.
Kganyago today denied that problems with contracts at the SABC Ã¢Â€Â“ including the delay in finalising a contract with Endemol SA for the production of the soapie Isidingo Ã¢Â€Â“ were linked to problems in the SABC’s legal division.
When Sihlali approached the Johannesburg High Court in August last year, seeking an interdict to prevent the SABC from making a decision on his suspension, he claimed in his application that the SABC’s legal department “has now been placed in a situation of complete disarray”.
Kganyago said Thabang Mathibe had been acting in Sihlali’s place.