• Subscribe to our newsletter
The Media Online
  • Home
  • MOST Awards
  • News
    • Awards
    • Media Mecca
  • Print
    • Newspapers
    • Magazines
    • Publishing
  • Broadcasting
    • TV
    • Radio
    • Cinema
    • Video
  • Digital
    • Mobile
    • Online
  • Agencies
    • Advertising
    • Media agency
    • Public Relations
  • OOH
    • Events
  • Marketing
    • Thought Leaders
    • Campaigns
    • Research
    • Media Education
      • Media Mentor
  • Press Office
    • Press Office
    • TMO.Live Blog
    • Events
    • Jobs
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • MOST Awards
  • News
    • Awards
    • Media Mecca
  • Print
    • Newspapers
    • Magazines
    • Publishing
  • Broadcasting
    • TV
    • Radio
    • Cinema
    • Video
  • Digital
    • Mobile
    • Online
  • Agencies
    • Advertising
    • Media agency
    • Public Relations
  • OOH
    • Events
  • Marketing
    • Thought Leaders
    • Campaigns
    • Research
    • Media Education
      • Media Mentor
  • Press Office
    • Press Office
    • TMO.Live Blog
    • Events
    • Jobs
No Result
View All Result
The Media Online
No Result
View All Result
Home Out of Home

Uproar in out of home advertising industry

by Glenda Nevill
June 29, 2011
in Out of Home
0 0
3
Uproar in out of home advertising industry
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The out of home advertising industry is in an uproar this week with one of the major players resigning from industry body, Out of Home Media South Africa (OHMSA), the DA accusing the Johannesburg Property Company of entering into illegal lease agreements relating to banned billboard sites and an Eastern Cape out of home company calling foul over an irregular tender process.

Continental Outdoor Media, an Africa-wide operation, confirmed this week that it had resigned its membership Out of Home Media South Africa, of which it is a founder member. “We find our interests are not necessarily aligned to that of OHMSA,” Barry Sayer, CEO of Continental Outdoor Media, told TheMediaOnline.

Asked what kind of message Continental’s resignation sends to other out of home companies, with Continental being one of the biggest players in Africa, Sayer said his primary concern was to “shareholders, our staff, customers and landlords”.

“We find more and more that toeing the OHMSA very democratic majority line is sometimes in conflict with those primary stakeholder interests. Clearly we need to choose and have done that,” Sayer said.

He added that Continental Outdoor Media had always dealt with the legal issues the industry faces. “We always have and believe a lot of the legal issues swirling around the industry are unnecessary and often unwise, especially when in conflict with our largest landlords,” he said.

Continental Outdoor’s position comes in the wake of a statement by the Democratic Alliance, about Johannesburg Property Company (JPC) and the ANC-led City of Johannesburg, in which it claims that Council is flouting its own laws by extending lease agreements with “at least three companies that are worth R190-million”.

The media statement from DA councilor, Christo Botes, said the lease agreements had extended the life of “illegal and banned billboards”.

“This comes after the previous Member of the Mayoral Committee and now Executive Mayor of Johannesburg, Councillor Parks Tau, informed Council at a meeting earlier in the year that the council intends to fund the city’s liquidity crisis with the sale of council-owned properties and with rental income from outdoor advertising companies,” the statement said.

Botes said that executive Mayor of Johannesburg, Parks Tau, “informed Council at a meeting earlier in the year that the council intends to fund the city’s liquidity crisis with the sale of council-owned properties and with rental income from outdoor advertising companies”.

Botes said reports “highlighted at least 200 illegal billboards in the city. The officials informed councillors at these meetings that the city did not have the funds or the capacity to enforce the by-laws. However, while there are no funds to enforce the by-laws, the Council seems to be very happy to derive continuous income from the illegal billboards,” said the statement.

All potential and existing advertising sites on Council property have to be put out to tender, according to the Municipal Finance Management Act, and “prior to entering into or extending current lease agreements”.

In the meantime, The Star newspaper quotes a source at the JPC saying it is “invoking “emergency and exceptional circumstances” to allow the council to deviate from the tender process. The JPC would not elaborate on what these circumstances were”. [https://www.iol.co.za/business/business-news/city-of-joburg-flouting-own-outdoor-advertising-by-laws-1.1089126]

In the Eastern Cape, Tractor Outdoor have put out a statement that it did not tender for a municipal contract to put up advertising gantries on council land, as reported in a story in The Herald. [https://www.peherald.com/news/article/1817]

Bruce Jefferies, director of Tractor Outdoor Eastern Cape, told The Herald “the reason Tractor did not participate in the tender is due to the fact that it was seriously flawed, the least of which was that it was only for one year”.

Jefferies’s statement was the result of the court ordering Century Media – the company awarded the controversial Nelson Mandela Bay gantries tender – to take the material down and Century Media’s decision to sue the municipality for around R30-million in losses.

The Herald reported that Century Media director Marius Gerber said municipal communications director Roland Williams “had not informed his company about possible problems in erecting the gantries, so setting it up for failure”.

Jefferies said Tractor “made an informed business decision by not tendering as the capital costs involved for such a project would not and could not be recouped in one year. In the opinion of Tractor, the tender should never have been issued to marketing the format that it was and should never have been awarded”.

Jefferies said that Gerber, “being a director of an established national outdoor media company, would have been aware of the fact that the by-laws that were replaced in Port Elizabeth did not allow gantry structures, and would have been well aware of the fact that provincial roads are governed by certain unique by-laws as well”.

“It is also disappointing that Century Media, a national outdoor signage operator that is a signatory to OHMSA’s (Out of Home Media South Africa) code of conduct, took advantage of the 2010 World Cup and an obviously flawed tender to erect illegal structures in a well-managed signage market that has brought the name of the industry into disrepute,” the statement said. [https://www.peherald.com/news/article/1846]

OHMSA CEO, Melissa Moore, was discussing the moves with her Exco at the time of publishing and said she would release a statement later.

Tags: Century MediaContinental Outdoor MediaMelissa MooreOHMSAout of home advertisingTractor Media

Glenda Nevill

Glenda Nevill is the editor of www.themediaonline.co.za She is also a writer, communicator, dog walker, mother, worshipper of Burmese cats. Loves rugby and beach walks. Hates bad grammar and bad manners.

Follow Us

  • twitter
  • threads
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Adtopia expands DStv channel portfolio

Adtopia expands DStv channel portfolio

August 20, 2026
We measure the cost of strategy. Why don’t we measure its value?

We measure the cost of strategy. Why don’t we measure its value?

August 18, 2026
Awards Wrap: Radio Workshop nominated for Podcast of the Year, Bar & Beverage Awards 2023 winners announced, grab those MOST Awards tickets now

Awards Wrap: PRISM Awards honours PR professionals, Euphoria Telecom launches No Bull Prize, Red & Yellow students thrive at The Loeries

October 21, 2025
From reach to results: How South African media is changing

From reach to results: How South African media is changing

August 18, 2026
The only L’s I take are Lessons

The only L’s I take are Lessons

0
NCC clarifies new opt-out registry rules for direct marketers

NCC clarifies new opt-out registry rules for direct marketers

0
I love social media. But I hate it

I love social media. But I hate it

0
Media Moves: TASTE turns 20, Anele, Lira and Janine van Wyk are FEARLESS in new campaign; Alex Okosi new MD for Google Africa, Accenture Song wins Telkom business

Media moves: SABC the official broadcast partner for Taste of Cape Town, Mpumelelo Zondi joins Humanz, MultiChoice Group announced as super sponsor of FAME Week Africa

0
The only L’s I take are Lessons

The only L’s I take are Lessons

August 21, 2026
I love social media. But I hate it

I love social media. But I hate it

August 21, 2026
NCC clarifies new opt-out registry rules for direct marketers

NCC clarifies new opt-out registry rules for direct marketers

August 21, 2026
You killed the medium, bro

You killed the medium, bro

August 20, 2026

Recent News

The only L’s I take are Lessons

The only L’s I take are Lessons

August 21, 2026
I love social media. But I hate it

I love social media. But I hate it

August 21, 2026
NCC clarifies new opt-out registry rules for direct marketers

NCC clarifies new opt-out registry rules for direct marketers

August 21, 2026
You killed the medium, bro

You killed the medium, bro

August 20, 2026

ABOUT US

The Media Online is the definitive online point of reference for South Africa’s media industry offering relevant, focused and topical news on the media sector. We deliver up-to-date industry insights, guest columns, case studies, content from local and global contributors, news, views and interviews on a daily basis as well as providing an online home for The Media magazine’s content, which is posted on a monthly basis.

Follow Us

  • twitter
  • threads

ARENA HOLDING

Editor: Glenda Nevill
nevillg@themediaonline.co.za
Sales and Advertising:
Tarin-Lee Watts
wattst@arena.africa
Download our rate card

OUR NETWORK

TimesLIVE
Sunday Times
SowetanLIVE
BusinessLIVE
Business Day
Financial Mail
HeraldLIVE
DispatchLIVE
Wanted Online
SA Home Owner
Business Media MAGS
Arena Events

NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIPTION

 
Subscribe
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright © 2015 - 2026 The Media Online. All rights reserved. Part of Arena Holdings (Pty) Ltd

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • MOST Awards
  • News
    • Awards
    • Media Mecca
  • Print
    • Newspapers
    • Magazines
    • Publishing
  • Broadcasting
    • TV
    • Radio
    • Cinema
    • Video
  • Digital
    • Mobile
    • Online
  • Agencies
    • Advertising
    • Media agency
    • Public Relations
  • OOH
    • Events
  • Research & Education
    • Research
    • Media Education
      • Media Mentor
  • Press Office
    • Press Office
    • TMO.Live Blog
    • Events
    • Jobs

Copyright © 2015 - 2026 The Media Online. All rights reserved. Part of Arena Holdings (Pty) Ltd

Not enough quota to unlock this post
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?