The ANC is to discuss the possibility of launching a commercial party paper, at its upcoming National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting, according to the Cape Times.
ANC president Jacob Zuma described the media hype about an interview with the British Financial Times, in which he reportedly said href=”//www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5fbb501a-ebab-11dc-9493-0000779fd2ac.html” target=_blank mce_href=”//www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5fbb501a-ebab-11dc-9493-0000779fd2ac.html”President Thabo Mbeki had no power, as mischievous and the result of a misrepresentation of what he had said (Sapa/I-Net Bridge/M&G Online).
Ã¢Â–Â To be banned
The Mercury reported the ANC Youth League supported an “immediate ban” on liquor advertisements, as alcohol was seen to be “one of the major contributing factors to the country’s moral degeneration”.
Ummango Investment Holdings, a women’s broad-based BEE consortium financed by Mvelaphanda Holdings, has acquired a 25.1% stake in the technology media company ITWeb. Business Day reported Mvela Holdings had been involved in financing the acquisition of 25% of Moneyweb. The Mvelaphanda Group is in the process of acquiring a stake in Avusa.
Meanwhile, Naspers completed its acquisition of the European online auction company Tradus Plc for Ã‚Â£946-million on Friday (7 March). The transaction is to be funded from cash resources and a Ã‚Â£700-million credit facility, Bloomberg.com reported.
Consumer journalist Isabel Jones died in hospital on Tuesday (11 March), according to Talk Radio 702. Jones was known as the presenter of the TV programme Fair deal.
Sunday Times reported attorney Barry Aaron had been ordered to pay the paper’s legal costs following an urgent court application brought on 21 July last year on behalf of Mafika Sihlali, the SABC’s former chief legal officer. A punitive cost order was awarded against Aaron and Sihlali after Aaron had falsely claimed the paper had switched off its telephone and fax lines so that notice of the application could not be received.
Ã¢Â–Â In court
Zweli Mkhize, deputy chairperson of the ANC in KwaZulu-Natal, is claiming damages of R300,000 from City Press for alleged defamation. The paper reported it was prepared to apologise and publish a retraction, but not to pay the damages. The claim is related to a report about a plot to assassinate UDM leader Sifiso Nkabinde.
Ã¢Â–Â To court
Grahamstown’s Grocott’s Mail plans to ask the courts to set aside a municipal council decision to boycott advertising in the paper, allegedly for political reasons, according to M&G Online.
Meanwhile, Wonderfontein High School in Carletonville is taking legal steps against Sowetan, according to Beeld. The claim, which is expected to total “millions”, is related to reporting that Karabo Lephadi had died following an alleged racial incident at rugby practice.
Finance minister Trevor Manuel was successful in obtaining an interim court order to gag arms deal activist Terry Crawford-Browne. The order prevents Crawford-Browne from further defaming Manuel through making corruption allegations against him, pending an application for a final order. According to Business Day Manuel said he felt like a “battered wife”.
The 81 signatories to a statement condemning the video in which four white male residents of the University of the Free State’s Reitz Kamerwonings apparently urinated in food given to black, predominantly female, cleaning staff members, included journalists John Perlman, Max du Preez and cartoonist Zapiro (Sapa/www.iol.co.za).
Ã¢Â–Â Blacked out
Super model Oluchi Onweagba claims local editions of GQ and Glamour would not to feature her on their covers because she is black. The Times reported Glamour claimed they had cancelled a photo shoot with Onweagba because she had not been available on certain dates. GQ‘s editor said he would have to consult with his creative directors before commenting.
Neotel, South Africa’s second national telecommunications network operator, plans to deliver telecommunications services to individuals within ten weeks, according to Bloomberg/IOLtechnology.
Treasury responded to claims that it was to blame for signal carrier Sentech’s struggle to deliver, claiming it had been “struggling” with the quality of Sentech’s business plans for three to four years, !_LT_EMRapport !_LT_/EMreported. If business plans did not meet certain standards, treasury could not allocate funds, a spokesperson told the paper.
See “Related Links” below to read more media stories of the past week.
Want to continue this conversation on The Media Online platforms? Comment on Twitter @MediaTMO or on our Facebook page. Send us your suggestions, comments, contributions or tip-offs via e-mail to email@example.com.