Ogilvy Cape Town took the honours for Agency of the Year at last night’s AdReview awards. The group’s chief creative officer, Chris Gotz, won Advertising Achiever of the Year, but the Woodstock-based outfit was also awarded Large Agency of the Year, as well as the Agency Choices and Creative Champions of 2014 awards. Of the 20 awards, 12 were won by Cape Town agencies.
The MediaShop won Media Agency of the Year while Joe Public was awarded Agency Group of the Year. OMD won the Chairman’s Award and Hellocomputer scooped the honour for Digital and Integrated Agency of the year.
“This year we have seen an interesting development which we haven’t seen in many years. In the past big agencies such as Grey and BBDO alternated for top place, but recently that has changed and a variety of different agencies have been taking the coveted prize,” says Tony Koenderman, founder of AdReview.
“Now we are seeing a new emerging pattern with two rival agencies (Ogilvy Cape Town and Joe Public) competing for the Ad Agency of the Year. But in saying that agencies such as TBWAHunt Lascaris is making a comeback close on the tail of Ogilvy Cape Town,” Koenderman said.
He said Havas, one of the world’s largest global advertising, digital and communications groups, was also waiting in the wings showing excellent growth. “Africa is one of the few places offering economic growth and Havas are taking advantage of this new market,” Koenderman said. “The dynamics of the industry is changing – there is no doubt about that.”
All the winners:
· Ad Agency of the Year: Ogilvy Cape Town
· Agency Group of the Year: Joe Public
· Marketer of the Year: Kevin Hedderwick – Famous Brands
· Creative Champion 2014: Ogilvy Cape Town
· Chairman’s Award: OMD
· Media Agency of the year: The MediaShop
· Agency Choices: Ogilvy Cape Town
· Large Agency of the Year: Ogilvy Cape Town
· Medium Size Agency of the Year: Ireland/Davenport
· IAS New Business Award: Volcano
· Advertising Achiever of the Year: Chris Gotz, Ogilvy Cape Town
· Digital and Integrated Agency: Hellocomputer
· Specialist Agency of the Year: 34
· Breakthrough Agency of the Year: OFyt
· Design Agency of the Year: Jupiter Cape Town
· PR Consultancy of the Year: Atmosphere
Campaign: Tweeting Badger – Agencies FCB and Hellocomputer: Client Johannesburg Zoo
Campaign: Sharing a Coke with Bobby – Agency: FCB Client Coca Cola
Campaign: The Big Idea – Agency Native: Client Modjaji Books
Koenderman has been producing the AdReview Annual almost every year since 1980. The Awards were introduced in 1997.
IMAGE: Luca Gallarelli and Chris Gotz / Ogilvy Cape Town / Twitter
Want to continue this conversation on The Media Online platforms? Comment on Twitter @MediaTMO or on our Facebook page. Send us your suggestions, comments, contributions or tip-offs via e-mail to email@example.com.