COSMOPOLITAN has committed itself to raising awareness around gender-based violence by publishing content on Cosmopolitan.co.za and its social channels every day until the 10 December, Human Rights Day, to raise awareness about abuse, the many forms it takes from emotion and physical to sexual and financial – and what you can do to get help and support.
COSMOPOLITAN joined People Opposing Women Abuse (POWA) in Soweto – along with other activists – to march against gender-based violence on 26 November, marking the of the magazine’s #16DaysofActivism campaign, #KnowYourRights.
It has teamed up with illustrator Lambi Chibambo (@lambofmambety) to create illustrations for each day of #16DaysofActivism, and activist posters (used at the POWA march on 26 November). Chibambo’s powerful work is also featured daily on COSMOPOLITAN’s Instagram (@cosmopolitansa), driving awareness and education.
Help spread the word
To find out more, check out the selection of content already live on Cosmopolitan.co.za.
- What is sexual abuse and how is it different to sexual assault?
- What are your rights
- How you can report abuse and receive counselling and help
- What is consent, and how to give it (or refuse it)
- Why affirmative consent and the #YesMeansYes movement is so important
- When can you withdraw consent, and can you change your mind?
- Where to receive help if your consent has been violated
- Actress Sonia Sedibe on her experience as a victim physical abuse
- What physical abuse is and why you don’t have to stand for it
- How to report it and get help
- What is emotional and psychological abuse, and why is it dangerous?
- The red flags to watch out for
- What you can do and how to get help
- What is financial abuse?
- How to break free from financial abuse and empower yourself to be financially independent
- What are your legal rights around financial abuse and how do you report it?
Want to continue this conversation on The Media Online platforms? Comment on Twitter @MediaTMO or on our Facebook page. Send us your suggestions, comments, contributions or tip-offs via e-mail to email@example.com.