If the words ‘social media’ make you feel slightly ill it can only be because you haven’t yet come to realise what it can do for you and your publication; how you and your journalists can use it to sharpen your skills and enhance your currency. And let’s not forget about all those other online tools that everyone else is taking advantage of.
Social Media & Online Tools will show you how to upgrade your toolkit and be part of the most far-reaching and exciting communications revolution since Gutenberg yelled ‘Start the Presses!’ Join Gus Silber in Johannesburg and Marianne Tham in Cape Town for the two-day workshop that will change the face of your research, writing and reach. For more information, please see below.
Social Media & Online Tools: Jan 23 – 24 (JHB & CT)
Newsroom Management & Leadership is a comprehensive four-day, hands on course aimed at aspirant, part-time, new and jaded news editors. It will take place on February 14- 15 and 21- 22. The course will:
· Provide participants with an introduction to the intricacies of leadership and management, especially in a newsroom, focusing on managing processes and people
· Improve participants’ time management
· Provide tools for generating stories for specific target audiences
· Provide skills for managing short and long term diaries
· Provide briefing, debriefing, coaching and copy editing skills
· Provide tools and skills for dealing with newsroom challenges such as engaging in effective communication, hiring appropriate staff, training reporters, newsroom morale, managing friends, managing teams, managing change and career development
· Provide tools and skills for having critical and difficult conversations, delegation and managing relationships with peers and managers
· Introduce ethical decision-making and media law for South African newsrooms.
This course has been structured so that participants will develop skills that can be implemented during the duration of the course, making for immediate, positive change in your newsroom. Numbers are limited so please book early.
Charmeela Bhagowat, facilitator of this course and managing editor of the Mail & Guardian, is a Poynter Institute-trained newsroom coach and manager. You can read more about her here.
Contact me now to book for the courses that will take you or your staff to the next level. If you can’t find what you’re looking for on our website, please contact our Writing Unit manager Shelagh Foster on 011 484 1765, email@example.com to discuss your requirements. This course will be facilitated by Raymond Joseph in Cape Town later in the year, please contact Maki to make a provisional booking.