Discovery Health has opened entries for health journalists to enter its annual health journalism awards. Work must have been published or broadcast from between 1 January 2014 – 31 December 2014 to be eligible.
First established in 2008, the awards recognise the work the country’s health journalists are doing in educating South Africans about healthcare issues that affect them as consumers of healthcare services. They provide health journalists with an opportunity to showcase their best health reporting and how they are playing a critical role in helping members of the public to understand healthcare in terms of how decisions in the healthcare industry affects them and the level and quality of healthcare they receive.
There are 11 award categories:
1. Best health news reporting
2. Best healthy lifestyle feature
3. Best consumer reporting and feature writing
4. Best investigative reporting
5. Best analysis and commentary
6. Best radio health journalism
7. Best television health journalism
8. Best health economics journalism
9. Young upcoming health journalist of the year
10. Best health journalist: Foreign Media
11. Discovery Foundation Nation-builder Award
Winners in each category will receive R25 000 in prize money. The Discovery Health Journalist of the Year, and winners in multiple categories will receive a total of R75 000 in prize money.
The closing date for all entries is 06 February 2015. For more information, click here.
Want to continue this conversation on The Media Online platforms? Comment on Twitter @MediaTMO or on our Facebook page. Send us your suggestions, comments, contributions or tip-offs via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.